Nestled within the serene waters of Guanabara Bay lies a historical gem steeped in Brazilian imperial heritage – Fiscal Island (Ilha Fiscal). This picturesque island, home to a palace that once witnessed the grandeur of the Brazilian Empire, offers a captivating journey back in time. In this guide, we’ll uncover the allure of Fiscal Island, its rich history, how to access this unique site, and important visitation details for an unforgettable experience.
A Glimpse into History:
- The Imperial Ball: Perhaps the most renowned chapter of the island’s history is its role as the host of the last ball of the Brazilian Empire in 1889. This opulent event, held within the palace’s walls, marked the end of an era and the dawn of a new republic in Brazil. The palace still echoes with the elegance and glamour of that bygone era.
- Architectural Splendor: The palace on Fiscal Island is a visual masterpiece, resembling a small castle adorned with ornate paintings on its walls and ceilings. Intricate mosaics grace the floors, adding to the building’s grandeur. Visitors will find themselves transported to a time of regal opulence as they explore this architectural gem.
Access and Departure:
- Location: Fiscal Island is situated within the scenic Guanabara Bay. To reach this historical treasure, visitors must embark on a schooner (boat) journey departing from the cultural space of the marina, located at Av Alfredo Agache (Praça XV Square).
- Departure Schedule: Schooners to Fiscal Island are available for visitors on Thursdays through Sundays. The departure times are at 12:30 PM, 2:00 PM, and 3:30 PM. It is recommended to arrive at least 15 minutes before the scheduled departure to ensure a smooth boarding process.
Key Visit Information:
Before setting sail to Fiscal Island, here are some essential details to make your visit seamless:
- Ticketing: Ticket prices and booking details may vary, so it’s advisable to check with the marina’s cultural space or their official website for up-to-date information and reservations.
- Duration: The visit to Fiscal Island typically lasts a few hours, allowing ample time to explore the palace and its surroundings. Be sure to plan accordingly and savor every moment of this unique historical experience.
- Guided Tours: Guided tours are available on Thursday to Sundays and holidays: 12:30, 14:00 and 15:30, providing deeper insights into the island’s history and the significance of the palace. Consider joining one of these tours for a more immersive visit.
Price of the guided tour :
- General public: R $ 30
- Adults over 60 and children under 12: R $ 15
- Ticket sales in the Cultural Space of the Marina (ECM) only on visiting days from 11:00 a.m. to 3:10 p.m.
Fiscal Island, with its regal palace and storied history, invites visitors to step back in time to the days of Brazil’s imperial splendor. As you set sail across the tranquil Guanabara Bay, you’ll find yourself immersed in the opulence of a bygone era, reliving the grandeur of the final ball of the Brazilian Empire. The ornate architecture, stunning mosaics, and historical significance of this island make it a must-visit destination for history enthusiasts, culture aficionados, and anyone seeking a glimpse into Brazil’s imperial legacy. Prepare to embark on a journey of enchantment as you explore Fiscal Island and its captivating palace.